Backing Up Your Computer
Here is one way to backup your PC using an external hard drive
1. On your taskbar, left click on File Explorer
2.On the left side of the window, click on This PC
3.Scroll down on the left side until you see your external hard drive and double left click to open it
4.On the right side of the external hard drive window, RIGHT click and then left click on NEW - Folder. Name the folder BACKUP along with the current date
5. Double left click to open the Backup folder. Now, right click in the open window and select New - Folder to create the folders listed below. Repeat the steps until all of the folders are created.
6. Right click on File Explorer on the taskbar and select Documents
7. This will create a 2nd window on your screen. Left click on the Title Bar of each window to line them up side by side
8. The left picture shows the documents folder on your PC - The right picture shows the external hard drive selected, the backup folder open and documents folder open. On the left window, select all the files inside the documents folder, then right click and drag them to the backup/documents folder on the right side of your screen. Let go of the mouse button and select COPY HERE. Repeat these steps with each of the folders or files on your computer that you wish to back up.
When you are done, eject the hard drive properly!
Then, right-click the Eject Media icon.
A menu lists the removable media you can eject. Click the name of your USB flash drive. In this example, the option to eject the USB flash drive is named "Eject Cruzer Glide."
After clicking the eject option, wait for a message stating it is safe to remove the hardware before pulling the flash drive out of your computer.